Contact us today on
+353 91 04424 or click here to email us

  • Home
  • Letterkenny Hospital

Letterkenny Hospital was founded in 1832 and moved to its current site in the early 1960s and underwent major developments in 1981 and again in 2011. It continues to develop and is a 370-bed general hospital. The most recent developments include a new Emergency Department, Medical Assessment Unit and 100 medical beds, an Acute Stroke Unit, a new Diabetic and Endocrinology Service and new Psychiatric Unit.


The hospital provides regional breast care and renal services, serving 250,000 people throughout Donegal, Sligo and Leitrim and directly employs approximately 1,450 people.
The hospital delivers post graduate medical and nursing education and undergraduate nursing midwifery and allied health training.

NUIG has committed to a spend of €2 million for a 600m2 new undergraduate medical space at Letterkenny Hospital. This will facilitate the teaching of medical students who will become future doctors in Donegal.

The Donegal Clinical Academy Trust, a registered charity, was formed to facilitate the building of the Donegal Clinical and Research Academy (DCRA) comprising of an auditorium, research facilities and additional areas for training, education and study. This will make the proposed Academy comparable to university training facilities in other regional hospitals and will require a further €2 million to complete the project.

The benefits will be:

• ensuring Letterkenny Hospital will continue to provide optimum care to current and future generations of people in Donegal;

• providing a pipeline of doctors to the hospital and community;

• leading clinical research to improve the quality of life for all in Donegal.